Will be going over to Jalan Stoner/Conlay to visit this photo exhibition titled “four jalan
six lorong (orang tiga) – a photographic and pottery journey through the town of everlasting peace” at Badan Warisan during lunch tomorrow. It’s supposed to be good so if you have time today, tomorrow or Saturday, don’t miss it.
Taiping emerged as an important town following the discovery of the rich Larut tin fields around Klain Pauh in the 19th century. Due to its importance, the town became the colonial administrative centre. The administration was later transferred to Kuala Kangsar and then to Ipoh when the Kinta tin fields overtook that of Taiping’s.
As Taiping was intended to be the administrative centre of Perak and of the Federated Malay States, the town gained prominence and boasted of a string of some three dozens “firsts.” The 8-mile Taiping-Port Weld railway line – the first in the country – was built with the help of the Ceylon Pioneer Corps in 1885. Other “firsts” included the museum, public library, post office, amusement park, hill station, club, college, and newspaper.
The twin town of Kamunting was established to set apart the warring Ghee Hin and Hai San clans which were embroiled in the tin wars which had led to British intervention and the signing of the Pangkor Treaty 1874.
Just after Simpang, which is the main entry point to Taiping, lie the remnants of the Ngah Ibrahim fort in the Matang district. Ngah was the son of Long Jaafar, who first discovered tin in Larut. Ngah established the first modern system of administration in Perak with a police force, judiciary and treasury.
Farther away in Jebong, is the country’s oldest mangrove forest reserve. Beyond that is Port Weld or Kuala Sepetang, a fishing township.”